Sunday, October 3, 2010

Learning new things!


Tummy Time
There are so many things Matt is doing these days, it's hard to list them all.  I think I've mentioned on Facebook how much Matt HATES tummy time, but he is slowly starting to get used to it. I don't put him on his belly nearly enough, I think, so I've been worried that he isn't developing fast enough in the head-lifting department (typical first-time mom stuff), but we put him down yesterday, and LO and BEHOLD, he lifted his head 90 degrees! Yay, Matt! And he enjoyed himself for, hmm, two minutes.
The Truth about Sleeping
Another topic that I have not really talked about much for fear of devine retribution are the sleeping habits of my 13 1/2 week old. When he was born, he ate every 3 hours, which was quickly replaced by enforced 2 hour increments because he lost too much weight after birth. WELL, he got to where he liked that pattern. A lot. It wasn't until daycare started that he got back to eating every three hours. Yes people, my child has been waking me every 3 hours to eat, and no, Ross can't help because I'm breastfeeding. Every now and then another parent with an infant talks about how their little precious is sleeping through the night and I secretly hope they are lying or delusional about what constitutes a full night of sleep--just my envy talking. I haven't wanted to complain too much though, since Matt goes down at 7 pm and doesn't officially "get up" before 6 am...it's just the 9:30 pm, 1:00 am, and 4:30 am interruptions in slumber that I could do without. This weekend, after several nights of attempting unsuccessfully to cut down the night feedings, Matt finally went a whole night with only one night feeding! Progress! Another good thing is that from day one we've committed to not letting him sleep in bed with us for several reasons: we could roll on top of him (scary!), the gazillion pillows are in the way, and we could probably NEVER get him out of our bed once he got used to it. At two months we moved him from the pack 'n play in our room to his very own (and to me, expensive) crib. That has been a surprisingly easy transition aside from again, the number of times we get up in the middle of the night.

Here are some other things that he has been doing recently:
  • sucking on his fingers
  • smiling ALL the time, especially at momma, daddy, and Miss Christine at daycare
  • sorta laughing...no belly laughs, yet, though
  • watching Sasha as she walks by
  • blew raspberries at Ross (say it don't spray it, buddy!)
  • watches football--we definitely have a TV watcher on our hands!
  • talking to (and hollering at) us
  • rolling over to his side
So fun! We are really enjoying this little guy. He can be a little frustrating sometimes when we just don't know what's wrong, but we are learning pretty quickly how to respond to him. That and the smiles that show us how much he loves his momma and daddy make the crying so much easier to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment